The Court House & the Municipality of Bruny Island
On 27 August 1907, a proclamation appearing in the Tasmanian Government Gazette declared Bruny Island a Municipality, with three specific wards, Lunawanna, Adventure Bay and Lennon.
Meetings were held every second Saturday in the month at various venues, initially in the Alonnah State school, later the meeting room at Alonnah Hall. During these early years at least three meetings each year were held at the Cricket Hall, Barnes Bay.
By early 1938 a ‘Court House’ building had been erected at Alonnah. This also became the ‘Council Chambers’ following the 12 February 1938 Council meeting.
left to right.
James Davis, E J Dillon, D.C Denne, A.H. Denne
George Davis, A Cockerill, Hon B.S. Bird (Treas), R. Vaughan (Warden), Wm ZSchachner (C.ClerK), R.A. Pybus
Notice of the first Local Election on Bruny Island was advertised in The Mercury, 9/10/1888,
Bruny Road District.
— The first meeting landholders of South Bruny for the purpose of electing a road trust is to be held at Mr. Thomas Sexton's residence at noon tomorrow. The advertisement calling the meeting states that -"It being the first of the kind in South Bruny it is of importance that all owners should be present. “
The result was recorded in the Hobart Gazette, 23 October 1888; “South Bruny Road District: - In pursuance of a proclamation … at a meeting of the land holders
…the following gentlemen have been duly elected to form the South Bruny Road Trust: -Major General H. L. A. Tottenham, George Davis, William Zschachner, Edmund J. Dillon, John Conley, and the first-named; has been elected chairman for the year.
A comprehensive history of the Municipality was compiled in 1988 along with a photographic display including Honour Rolls recording terms of office of Councillors, Wardens and Council Clerks. This forms part of our permanent display.
Municipality of Bruny was officially amalgamated with Kingborough on 1 April 1993. Ruth Dillon, one of the founding members of the Historical Society, was a driving force behind the establishment of the History Room at Alonnah which opened in August 1997.